Build in 1942
Ecka airport was built by Luftwaffe in 1942. Ecka’s runway was, at the time of building, the longest concrete runway in the world.
All famous Luftwaffe military planes was based at Ecka airport and used in combat operations all over Central and Eastern Europe.
During fall of 1944 group of US Army Air Forces, P 51C Mustangs, attacked Luftwaffe positions on Airport Ecka by surprise, and destroyed most of the aircrafts. One Mustang was shot downed and the pilot was killed.
Russian army took over the airport from Luftwaffe at the end of 1944 and Russian planes and troops was positioned on the airport until 1947.
After Soviets left, Yugoslav army destroyed concrete runway, in fear of possible Soviet invasion on Yugoslavia during Stalin times.
During 1990’s Zrenjanin Aeroclub has moved to Ecka Airport. Aeroclub’s airport was founded in 1929 and positioned on the north side of Zrenjanin city, before moving to Ecka due to the city’s expansion.
New, well experienced management took over managing of the Zrenjanin Aeroclub and Ecka airport in 2017. With great respect of the airport’s history the new era has begun…